We believe that education is a process of transforming the Young into holistic person, in preparation for his eternal destiny with the Creator
June 15, 1923 marked the beginning of an envisioned commitment of educating the young in Carcar, Cebu through the dynamic leadership of Father Anastacio del Corro, fondly called “Padre Tationg.” He was competently assisted by four Belgian sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (ICM) congregation headed by Sister Marie Allix.
Initially, the school opened its door to 57 students coming from North and South of Carcar and Cebu City. The school year 1924-1925 was a period with steady growth as Kindergarten, a complete Elementary Course (Grade 1 to 7), and First Year High School was offered. It was in first commencement exercises were held.
To meet the demand of the growing population, he physical plant was improved with the construction of additional buildings in 1927. This enabled to school to open its Secondary Course with dual curricula the General and the Vocational Secondary Courses which were approved to the Bureau of Education. Enrollees in the Vocational Secondary Course earned units in Business English, Geography, Bookkeeping, typing, and Stenography. This curricular offering was concluded in 1930 due to lack of enrollees.
Despite the turbulent years of the World War II (1941-1945), the Kindergarten and the Grade School continued in operation. It was in 1942 when the girl’s high school reopened to allow the senior students to graduate. Rapid development marked the years during the Liberation Period. Religion has become the core of the curriculum fostering virtues, graces, and high regard for family life. Spiritual, moral, and intellectual growth has become its focus. A coeducational setup was introduced by Fr. Pastor Ybañez.
In May 1976, the Congregacion de las Religiosas Misioneras de Santo Domingo (CRMSD) took over the management of the school upon the invitation of His Eminence Julio Cardinal Rosales. In 1993, St. Catherine’s School opened higher education department offering Bachelor in Elementary Education, Bachelor in Secondary Education, and Bachelor of Arts (major in English). Renamed St. Catherine’s College in 1994, it had B.S in Computer Engineering, B.S. in Computer Science, Associate in Computer Science, Associate in Computer Secretarial, B.S. in Accountancy, and B.S. in Business Administration as additional programs under the close supervision of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). On the other hand, the school also offered technical vocational courses in Nursing Aide, General Radio Telecommunications Operator (GRCO), and Electronics Communications Technician (ECT) under the Umbrella of TESDA.
Inspired by the courage and virtues of St. Catherine of Alexandria and St. Dominic de Guzman, St. Catherine’s College is a Catholic educational institution bridging Filipino tradition and global progress
nurturing Christ-like attitudes, and committing itself to excellence in knowledge for holistic transformation.
We envision St. Catherine’s College a prominent Catholic learning center, dynamic and exemplary in providing research-skilled,.
competent and God-fearing individuals ready for the world of work in the service of God, country, and community.
Compassion for Others
Conviction of Faith
Commitment to Harmony
Christ-centered in lifestyle
Competence and Excellence
All Rights Reserved. © 2021 SCC MIS